......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Thursday 14 March 2013

Messy Play is good...isn't it?

You know that scene in Pulp Fiction, the one with the hosing down of Vincent and Jules, after the accidental shooting in the back of the car?


Well I've had to do this a few times this week.


Yesterday was due to sand play and today the car looked like a duck had exploded (minus the blood and guts).

The hardest thing for me about this kind of play, is the mess. Being ok with it and letting the girls just be. I absolutely hate sand. I hate the beach. I love the sun. The sea. The surf. But not the sand. It gets everywhere and into everything. So as we drove past the pile of sand at the golf course my initial reaction is to say no way. I know this is my issue and it totally spoils their enjoyment and play (which I am always complaining they don't do enough). So I envisioned what would happen if we went home instead, tv and shrieky girly noise and said 'sure, why not!'. The girls had a great time, I stayed in the car with Millie who climbed about and had a great time too. But. They were NOT coming in the house. So I made them strip outside and shake down before running up to a bath! It was a win win situation.


Today, Maia and I played elephants in the park with pampas grass. Some idiots had hacked at the bush and there were bits lying about all over. We used them for a long time and I was more than happy for her to bring them home until I found out what happens when you use them as a pretend duster. I was going to Hoover the car this morning after yesterday's sand play. I'm so glad I didn't otherwise I'd be swearing about having to do it again never mind having to do it when we got home with very little time because we were going out again. The flowers were everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. The plant is also known as woolly-beard grass and it sheds tiny bits of 'wool' or feather like stuff All. Over. The. Place. I refused to let the girls in the house until I'd brushed them down. Poor Millie had no idea why I was vigorously shaking her down with a dustpan brush. It was worse than the sand because it stuck fast, even to their hair. I think I'll be picking bits out the car for weeks.

Imagine this 1000x worse. Everywhere!

At least the car is tidy for a change.

So messy play. Yes it's fun. Yes it's educational. Yes it helps their development. But sometimes I have to just say NO, no way. Not again.








Meltdowns - none
Losing the Plot - slight exploding duck kind
Breastfeeding - masses. Lots of teeth









No comments:

Post a Comment