......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Insight into a 5yr old's insanely tired mind at bedtime

The girls wouldn't sleep tonight.  They weren't tired, or they were, I don't know. I don't care any more.  They are asleep now.  It took 3hours.  It was disastrous in the middle.  Deals were made and broken many times by all parties.  I'm not talking about that just now.  I want to tell you the end.  The end went something like this: - 


After mentioning the dentist is on Wednesday, Ellie says she wishes it was on Tuesday because she wants a balloon.  I say 'you'll do anything for a balloon won't you?"





Ellie says she will do anything for ice cream, chocolate and a balloon.  Except stuff she doesnt want to do



"What don't you want to do?" I ask

"Go to bed"

She then says "What are the things that I get upset about that you dont let me have, sweetie stuff and other kinds of stuff?"

"I'm not sure" I say

"oh I get upset about going to lisas and not letting me go to the play park" she remembers 

I ask her if she remembers why we couldn't go to the playpark (we had to get home for an upset Millie)

Then she says "That is why I want to do things that I want to do and the things that you don't let me do"

"What is the stuff you are not letting you do?" she wants some help answering

"I cant think of anything" I say "I'm not letting you....jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute" I joke

"No no,  not that, things around the house that you are not letting me do that I want to"

"I cant think of anything" I say

"Id always have a parachute" she says

There is silence for a minute


"Mama when I grow up I'm going to be in Spain, live there, so I'm not jumping out of an aeroplane"

"You can do both" I say

"How?"

I decide not to get into the intricacies.

"Well, if you wanted to, you could"

"I don't want to jump out of an aeroplane"

Silence again

"I know the stuff you wont let me do, is get ice cream.  That's the stuff that daddy wont let me"

"You often get ice cream" I answer

"Not in a tub, thats the stuff that daddy ONCE didn't let me"


Total silence





Meltdowns - yup
Losing the Plot - yupitty
Breastfeeding - before during but not after the disastrous bedtime tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment