......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Does it make a Difference?



It does not matter how many times you ask...and it doesn't make a difference if you say in a really loud voice 'that's dangerous', Ellie and Maia will not sit down on a bus.  You could spend the whole journey trying and getting more and more frustrated and upset.  You could say we are not going on a bus again unless you sit down.  There are lots of ways to force them to stay sitting on the bus.  I prefer to just let them be.  They know to hold tight. 

It does not matter how many times you ask...and it doesn't make a difference if you are wearing a uniform with a badge, Ellie will not put her shoes back on.  You could follow her round the whole of a museum trying and getting nowhere.  You could say to her we are not going in the museum unless you put your shoes on.  There are lots of ways you could force her to keep her shoes on.  I prefer to just let her be. If she wants to be barefoot, its her choice.

It does not matter how many times you ask....and it doesn't make a difference if you have finished, Maia will not move on until she is ready.  You could spend the whole time herding her from one place to the next or picking her up and taking her away from her exploring.  You could say we are not going out again unless you keep up.  There are lots of ways to force her to hurry up.  I prefer to just let her be. She comes when she is ready.

If it doesn't make a difference  and I can, then I let them be.  It's their choice

1 comment:

  1. I always try to let Michael be when I can, though sometimes I wonder how much I can get away with before someone comes and harasses me. When Michael started walking I had no shoes for him. I got reprimanded in two stores before I made him some shoes. Where do all these rules come from? People are worried about liability because people are sue-happy because people are just out of whack! Sorry, mini-rant.

    ReplyDelete